Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Letter to Hon Minister of Health - Maharashtra State

Dr. Vasant S Kelkar

62 , Kalpak
Artek Apartments
Bandra (E)
Mumbai 400 051
August 7, 2010

Hon. Shri Suresh Shetty
Minister of Health
Government of Maharashtra
Madam Cama Road
Mumbai 400 032.

Dear Sir :

The Times of India has reported today that the Committee appointed by the government has recommended that cell phone transmission towers will be allowed atop buildings if 67% of society members give their consent.

We are residents of the top floor of our residential society and have been suffering health problems due to cell towers of 4 companies mounted on terrace of our building. The residents on lower floors are subjected to negligible, if any, health risks due to such towers and therefore, will never agree to removal of the cell towers due to large revenues they give to the society. Since, the top floor residents will be always less than 33% of the members, they can never get the cell towers removed and be free from the health risk they cause.

For example, in a 6 storeyed building with 2 flats on each floor, the top floor members will be only 2 out of 12 i.e 16.67% and so can never be successful in removal of antennas although they cause the most risks to their health. Voting power of top floor members will be even worse in taller buildings.

How can health risks be decided by a majority vote? Has the government decided that smoking will be permitted in public places like restaurants if 67% of the customers agree to it?? That the passive smoke does not cause any health risk to remaining 33% of the public if 67% smoke? If there is a health risk to top floors members – even to one member – then the government must enact appropriate legislation forbidding installations of cell phone towers near human residents. This matter of health risk cannot be decided by voting of members.

Thanking you,
Yours faithfully,
Dr. Vasant S Kelkar

No comments:

Post a Comment